Thursday, March 17, 2011

Realization

Today has been an interesting day...
I have realized something that I did NOT think would happen to me.
I was sitting in the gym at the Hinckley today, watching the VARIETY of people walk by me
when it dawned on me... I am leaving in 3 weeks! Rexburg will no longer be my home away from home. I have been here for 6 semesters; a year and a half. I have met SOOOO many people. Created life-long friends and friends that I will always look back on with a smile and a laugh.
I have had great roommates and HORRIBLE roommates. Roommates that have been there for me when I had a great day and ones there for me when I had a hard, horrible day. I have had classes I have loved and classes I have despised (Capstone!). Teachers that have touched my heart, made me want to barf and motivated me to be better. I have thrown water balloons at Porter Park, bonfires at the Sand Dunes, been four-wheeling, sledding, guitars unplugged, soccer, flag football, baseball and basketball games, shooting, fireworks, blowing things up, hiking, the drive-in, cheap theatre, bowling, golfing, MOVIES GALORE, Horkley's, I.F. runs, Winco, Devo, temple, ward activities, amazing dates (and not so amazing dates) and curfew.

There are so many memories here. Some I want and will keep with me forever, and others that I wish to forget or have already forgotten. I think I am actually sad that I will be leaving this place. I even teared up a little. It has been such a blessing to my life being around others that believe the same as I do and strive for the same things I do. Rexburg and the people I have come in contact with have helped mold me to be who I am and who I am becoming.
Looking back over the 2 1/2 years I have changed SOOO much. And unfortunately, I know I have hurt some along the way to my change. This past weeks devotional was amazing! Probably the best in the past year. The topic was on forgiveness, something that is so hard, yet so necessary to our lives. I wish I knew how to put the link on my blog to the talk, but I will just give you the blurb that touched me.

Learning to forgive is of great worth in this day as well. Forgiveness is a prime ingredient of love. It is a function of love.

If we truly love others then we have no choice but to believe, trust, accept, and hope that our love will be returned. But there can never be any assurance, never any guarantee. If we wait to love only until we are certain of receiving equal love in return, we may wait forever.

Someone once said, Just because the message may never be received, does not mean it is not worth sending. We love and forgive others because we want to, because it gives us joy. Because we know that growth and discovery of oneself depends upon it.

“Forgiveness of others for wrongs—imaginary or real—often does more for the forgiver than for the forgiven. That person who has not forgiven a wrong or an injury has not yet tasted of one of the sublime enjoyments of life. The human soul seldom reaches such heights of strength or nobility as when it removes all resentments and forgives error or malice.


“Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.”

I know that there are so many people that deserve so much more than this........ but I am sorry.

Here is to the weekend.. a Happy Birthday to Kelsey... and 3 more weeks of life in Rexburg.

p.s. sorry about my background... It is ugly and hard to read things. I will get someone on that asap.

3 comments:

  1. is that ps to make me feel guilty? How about this--during our 10 day break before we look for a job--your blog will be the first thing on my to do list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devo really was great wasn't it? And great post Katie! I've been thinking the same about leaving Rexburg...it's really been such a blessing to be here, and I'm honestly sad to leave as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of Elton John: Sorry is the hardest word. I love you pooper.

    ReplyDelete